Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

Skip to Content
    Jul 21, 2024  
2020-2021 Catalog and Student Handbook 
2020-2021 Catalog and Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Practices, Policies, and Procedures

Academic Definitions

(Terms to Know)

Classification of Students-A student who has completed less than the equivalent of 31 semester credit hours is classified as a freshman. Completion of 31 or more credit hours classifies a student as a sophomore.

Credit Hours-Credit hours are standard units of measure for college work. Fees are based on credit hours. The number of credits for a course does not necessarily equal the number of hours that the course meets in one week. The number of credits for each class is listed in the catalog with each course description.

Electives-Most degree programs at Terra State require students to enroll in courses called electives. An elective is a course that a student chooses to take from a list of several course options.

Enrollment Status-To be considered a full-time student for enrollment and financial aid purposes, a student needs to be enrolled for at least 12 credit hours. A part-time student is someone enrolled for less than 12 credit hours. Federal Stafford Student Loan recipients must be enrolled in at least six credit hours to be considered at least half-time.

Prerequisites-A prerequisite is a course that must be completed before students can take the next course in a sequence. If a course has a prerequisite, that requirement is included in the course description. A co-requisite is a course that should be taken at the same time as another course.

Academic Forgiveness Policy

A student who has been absent from the college for two consecutive academic years or who has changed majors may petition once for “Forgiveness.” If approved, qualifying “D” or “F” grades are forgiven. Forgiven grades will be designated as an FS or FG on the student’s transcript, but are not calculated in the GPA.

To qualify, a minimum of 20 credit hours must have been satisfactorily completed, and the student must have maintained at least a 2.5 GPA (all grades being C and better) since re-enrolling or changing majors.

Academic Integrity

Academic integrity and honesty are basic values of Terra State Community College. Students are expected to follow standards of academic integrity and honesty. Academic misconduct implies dishonesty or deception in fulfilling academic requirements and includes, but is not limited to, cheating, plagiarism, or the furnishing of false information to the college or a college affiliate in academic related matters. An affiliate of the college is any person, organization or company that works in conjunction with Terra State Community College for the purposes of assisting students in fulfilling their academic requirements. The term “cheating” is defined in Article A, Section 16 of the Student Code of Conduct. The term “plagiarism” is defined in Article A, Section 17 of the Student Code of Conduct. Any student found to have committed academic misconduct is subject to the disciplinary sanctions outlined in Article H of the Student Code of Conduct.

Academic Probation

A student will be placed on academic probation status if the student’s cumulative grade point average falls below the established minimum of 2.0.

Students are notified by e-mail of their probation status and it is also noted on their academic transcript.

Students have until the next review to raise their GPA. At the end of the first probationary period, the college determines whether to lift the academic probationary status, continue the student on academic probation, or to recommend academic suspension.

A student may be continued on academic probation if the semester grade point average is raised to a 2.0 or higher, but the cumulative grade point average remains below a 2.0.

Students placed on academic probation must schedule an appointment with an academic advisor to develop an academic plan and determine the course load for future semesters.

Academic Suspension

If a student on academic probation does not raise his/her cumulative grade point average above the required minimum, or does not earn at least a 2.0 term GPA, then the student is suspended from the college for a period of at least one academic term.

Students are notified of their suspension by e-mail and through a notification letter. Students who are suspended from the college on academic grounds may not re-enroll for at least one full academic term. This suspension is intended to allow the student time to thoroughly reassess his or her goals and performance capabilities.

Prior to re-enrolling at the college, suspended students must visit with an academic advisor. Students will complete an academic improvement plan with the advisor.

A student may appeal a decision of academic suspension to the Registrar. The appeal must be in writing and should document any unusual circumstances and also explain an improvement plan. The Registrar may act to reinstate the student’s eligibility on a probationary status or deny the appeal.

Academic Workload

Students who plan to graduate with an associates degree at the end of two years should follow the degree curriculum plan for their program listed in the college catalog. To graduate in two years, most programs require a student to complete 15-18 credit hours per semester. Students wishing to register for more than 20 credit hours (full-time overload status) must consult with their academic advisor prior to registration and need to obtain permission from their academic dean. Students should consult their advisors each term for assistance with scheduling and staying on path to completion.

Credit Hour Enrollment Guidelines:

Credit Hours Student Status
12 or more Full-Time
9-11 3/4 Time
6-8 1/2 Time
1-5 Less than 1/2 Time

Adding Classes

Beginning the first day of the session in which a class is offered, students must obtain the instructor’s permission to add the class. 

Students adding a class are responsible for attending the next class meeting, or in the case of a distance learning course, to immediately email the instructor upon adding the course.


Regular and prompt attendance is expected of students at scheduled class meetings or other activities assigned as part of a course of instruction. Regular attendance may be required in programs when mandated by accrediting or other regulatory agencies.

Instructors publish their own attendance policies in their syllabi. Instructors will use the published policy to determine whether a student is marked absent or present. Instructors may use, but are not limited to, any of the following guidelines developed by the United States Department of Education in determining attendance:

  • Physical class attendance where there is direct interaction between instructor and student
  • Submission of an academic assignment
  • Completing an examination, interactive tutorial, or computerized instruction module
  • Participating in a study group assigned by instructor
  • Participating in an online discussion about academic matters; merely logging into a distance or hybrid course is not sufficient evidence of attendance
  • Initiating contact with instructor to ask a question about the academic subject matter

If a student has been absent during the entire first seven calendar days of the class session they will be dropped from that class.

Change of Major

Students wishing to change majors should do so through the Student Records Office. Students should update their major, if necessary, prior to being advised for an upcoming registration.

Class Registration

Registration begins approximately 9 months prior to the start of the term. Online registration for current students is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week on the Terra State web site,

New students should contact the Office of Admissions and Advising, located in Building A, Roy Klay Hall, Room 100, at 419.559.2349 regarding academic advising procedures for new and returning students. New students must meet with an Academic Advisor and complete orientation before they can register for classes.

Continuing students may contact either their Faculty or Academic & Career Advisor. Advisor contact information is located in Banner Self-Service under the Student tab, Student Records, view Student Information. To make an appointment with an Academic Advisor, please call Academic Advising at 419.559.2349.

Class Schedules

Class schedules are located at and on Banner Self-Service under the Student tab, Registration, Look-up Classes. These schedules contain course numbers, course titles, credit hours for each course and days and times each class is scheduled to meet.

Class Standing

All students are classified as freshman (first-year) or sophomore (second-year) based upon the total number of successfully completed semester hours.

  1. A student successfully completing less than 31 semester hours is considered a freshman.
  2. A student successfully completing 31 or more semester hours is considered a sophomore.

Grades not counted towards class standing include audit, incomplete, withdraw, unsatisfactory, failure, and academic forgiveness.

Commencement Attendance Policy

Commencement provides recognition to those students who are expected to meet the College’s requirements for graduation.

Students shall meet the following criteria in order to participate in commencement and be included in the commencement program:

  1. Complete and submit a graduation application.
  2. A student’s graduation application must have an approved audit with pending completion status.
  3. The published commencement program will include the following terms:
    1. Fall and Spring graduates of the current academic year.
    2. Summer graduates from the prior Summer term that were not included in the prior academic year’s program.
    3. Summer graduates from the following Summer term that have met number 2 by the completion of Spring Break during the current academic year.

Complete Withdrawal from College

Terra State Community College allows for leaves and withdrawals from the College which pertain to academic, personal, and or medical circumstances. A student wishing to withdraw from TSCC must contact the Associate Dean of Students who will establish the official date of withdrawal for students based upon the date the student initiates the process. The student must contact the Associate Dean of Students to obtain a request for complete withdrawal form.

Compassionate or Medical Withdrawal

Terra State Community College is committed to supporting student success. When documented hardship prevents a student’s successful completion of meeting the requirements of an individual class or a course of study, Terra State will consider a request for academic course withdrawal to provide time for a student to recover from a specific medical or personal hardship.

1. The medical / compassionate withdrawal process is used only after the 100% financial reimbursement drop date in the semester (i.e. when a student can no longer drop a course online without negative consequence). Prior to the 100% drop date, students can drop courses on their own with no academic or financial penalty.

2. An approved medical / compassionate withdrawal will replace any pending grade in a course with a W (withdrawal). However, the process does not approve requests in cases where students are dissatisfied with their grades, are unable to drop courses without financial consequence because the 100% drop date has passed, or are placed on academic probation or suspension due to poor academic performance.

3. To request a medical / compassionate withdrawal, a student must submit the Medical / Compassionate Withdrawal Request Form no more than 30 calendar days after the last day of the semester for which the withdrawal is desired. All forms must be submitted no later than June 30th of the fiscal year during which the request is made. The form, along with any supporting documentation, must be submitted to the Associate Dean of Students.

4. If a student is incapacitated to the point of inability to contact Terra State directly, another individual representing the student can work with the Associate Dean of Students to submit the documentation on the student’s behalf. Additional steps may be required to safeguard student confidentiality while determining identity.

5. Approval does not automatically provide reimbursement of tuition, housing costs, and fees. Financial Aid, outstanding bills, and other financial ramifications are subject to separate approval. The request will be reviewed by the Financial Aid Office and the Cashier’s Office prior to a final financial decision, considering all financial responsibilities and impacts. Depending on the specific student situation, the students’ responsibility for tuition and fees may be reduced, pro-rated, or waived. Withdrawal itself can impact Financial Aid, especially satisfactory progress toward achievement of an academic program. Due to financial complications, the reduction of a bill, pro-rating of outstanding financial commitments, or refunds must be considered on a case-by-case basis.

6. Students with a known medical condition that requires accommodation are encouraged to register with Disability Services (part of the Academic Service Center at Terra State Community College). Registration with Disability Services prior to the start of a semester is important in order to initiate supports for academic success as early as possible.

Course Repeat Form

Students may repeat courses taken at Terra State to improve their original grade. After successfully repeating a course, the student must file a Course Repeat form so that the previous grade will be removed from the cumulative totals. Forms are available in the Student Records Office and online. Note that the original course will remain on the transcript, but the grade will appear as an FS (forgiven grade). Only one course repeat per course is allowed.

Course Substitutions & Waivers Policy

Students should complete their program curriculum outlined in TSCC’s College Catalog. Programs are carefully planned and periodically reviewed. It should not be typically necessary to substitute or waive courses in degrees or certificates. It may be appropriate, however, to substitute or waive a course requirement under unique or unusual circumstances.

Students requesting a substitution or waiver should contact their advisor or faculty member to initiate the process.

A course substitution is a course that takes the place of a required course in a curriculum, provided the course substitution involves similar content of the required course. Approved substitutions will appear on your academic record once the petition is processed. Substitutions can only take affect if the course is either graded or enrolled.

A course waiver exempts you from completing a required course in the curriculum. The academic dean determines course waiver eligibility based on the learning outcomes of the course. All waived courses are not calculated into earned or GPA bearing credits. If sufficient unused credits are not available to replace the waived credits, you may be required to complete additional course work; consult your advisor for specific direction concerning completing program credit requirements. Approved waivers will appear on your degree audit.

How to request a course substitution or waiver:

  1. Gather sufficient documentation and justification to warrant a substitution or waiver. Documentation of prior learning can include, but is not limited to, the following:
    1. Transcripts from other colleges or universities
    2. Workplace or Military training
    3. Professional certifications
    4. Examinations (CLEP, AP, etc…)
  2. Review the documentation with an academic advisor or faculty member.
  3. If the reviewer believes the request merits further consideration, all supporting documentation is forwarded to the appropriate academic dean for consideration.
  4. Upon approval by the academic dean, the substitution/waiver is sent to the Student Records Office for processing. A reason for the waiver shall be documented on the form.
  5. Appeals must be made in writing to the Vice President of Academic Affairs (VPAA).

Important information

Credit is substituted or waived based on the curriculum indicated on the petition form. You must submit a new Course Substitution-Wavier form if you change your curriculum, or are applying for multiple programs.

Dean’s List

The Dean’s List is an academic honor conferred only on the students who have accomplished an extraordinary level of academic achievement each term. Students meeting the following requirements qualify for the Dean’s List and receive an official letter from the college acknowledging their success:

  • Registered for 12 graded credit hours or more; “S” and “U” grade hours are excluded
  • Term grade point average of 3.50 or higher.
  • No “F” grades received during the term.
  • No “I” (incomplete) grades received during the term.

Distance Learning

Distance learning (DL) courses allow students more flexibility in managing their time for studying and completing coursework, outside of a traditional classroom. In distance learning courses, students can take part in their learning despite barriers related to time or place.

There are two types of distance learning courses offered at Terra State: Hybrid and Virtual. Hybrid courses offer a mixture of on-campus, in class activities and online coursework. Virtual courses are completed 100 percent online and will not require the student to come to campus. All distance learning classes use Terra’s Learning Management System (LMS) to deliver online coursework. Students can view lectures and presentations, complete quizzes, and participate in discussions in the LMS.

DL courses are listed in the course schedule published each term. Students must have a computer with a current web browser and an active high-speed Internet connection to succeed in DL courses at Terra State.

Dropping Classes

Students may withdraw from a course through Banner Self-Service. A grade of “W” (Withdrawal) will only be issued when the student withdraws prior to 75% of any instructional part of a course. After 75% of a course is complete, students cannot withdraw from a course and will receive the grade that they earn. In order to be eligible for any possible tuition refund, students must officially withdraw from a course. Refund procedures and time-frames are identified within the Fee Policies section of the College Catalog.

Grade (Report)

A Grade Report is available to students through Banner Self-Service, under Student, then Records. This report includes grades for the current term. It also includes earned hours, quality points and grade point average for both the completed term and the student’s cumulative program at Terra State Community College. Please refer to Banner Self-Service for final grades.

All financial obligations to the college (Instructional fees, general fees, laboratory fees, library fines, etc.) must be paid and all college equipment returned before grades will be released.

Grade Change Policy

The purpose of the grade change policy is to ensure the preservation of academic integrity between the student and faculty member. An instructor of record who wishes to change a final grade for a student must complete and submit a grade change form to the Student Records Office.

The following actions must occur if an instructor of record is changing a final grade for a student after the completion of a semester. The faculty member may complete a grade change form until the last day of the following semester without dean’s approval. Grade changes submitted after the last day of the following semester must include the dean’s signed authorization.

Grade Point Average


Grade point average (GPA) is determined through a series of calculations. First, course points are calculated by multiplying the credit hours for the course by the number of points assigned to the earned course grade (A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1) (credit x grade points = points). Next, all points are totaled and divided by the total graded credit hours attempted. On the Terra State transcript, the total number in the “PTS” column is divided by the total number in the “HRS” column to calculate the GPA. The following example illustrates the GPA calculation:

Course Credit Hours (HRS)   Grade Points Points (PTS)
ENG 3 x (B=3) =   9
EET 3 x (B=3) =   9
CAD 3 x (C=2) =   6
PSY 3 x (A=4) = 12
Totals 12        36

GPA = 36 ÷ 12 = 3.00

Grading System

At the close of each term and upon completion of a course, each instructor reports a letter grade indicating the quality of a student’s work. Points for each semester hour of credit earned are assigned according to the following system:

Quality Grade Points
Excellent A 4
Good B 3
Average C 2
Below Average D 1
Failure F 0
Incomplete I Not Computed
Satisfactory S Not Computed
Unsatisfactory U Not Computed

Grades may also be assigned or automatically placed on the student’s transcript due to evaluations of alternative credit, transfer credit, or through student action. These are not computed in the GPA. These include the following:

Withdrawn W Not Computed
Audit AU Not Computed
Proficiency CR Not Computed
Previous Training or Work Experience CR Not Computed
Progressing PR Not Computed
Forgiven FS Not Computed
No Grade Reported NR Not Computed
Passing Exempt PE Not Computed
Nonpassing Exempt NE Not Computed

Incomplete: An “I” (incomplete) is recorded when circumstances beyond the control of a student prevent the student from completing course requirements during a term. An “I” is assigned when the student has arranged, with the instructor, a specific plan for fulfilling the course requirements.

Incompletes are given based on the judgment of the instructor. Students have six weeks after the beginning of the next term to complete the coursework, otherwise a grade of “F” is recorded.

Exception: Incompletes received in the spring term may be resolved within six weeks after the beginning of the following fall term. Otherwise, a grade of “F” is recorded.

Audit: An “AU” is recorded on a student’s permanent record when a student audits a class. When auditing a course, the student pays full tuition and attends for informational instruction only, understanding that no credit may be earned or claimed later. The student is not required to submit assignments or take examinations, although this participation will help the student gain knowledge of the subject.

The “AU” grade is not included in the cumulative grade point average and does not apply to graduation. Audit status forms are available in the Student Records Office. Students may change an audit status to credit status before the end of the second week of classes. Students wishing to change from credit status to audit status may also do so before the end of the second week of classes.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory: A grade of “S” (satisfactory) or “U” (unsatisfactory) is given for select courses. (Grades of A, B, C, D or F cannot be substituted for S/U courses.) These grades are not computed in the grade point average.

Graduation Requirements

Consideration for the degree or certificate does not occur automatically. Students nearing the completion of a degree or certificate program must apply to graduate. Students initiate the process by applying to graduate. The application may be completed through the student portal or at the Records Office. Graduation applications should be completed and submitted to the Records Office one academic term prior to the projected date of completion.

Associate Degree Programs

Students planning to earn an associate degree at Terra State Community College must:

  1. Successfully complete all credit hours, or equivalent work, in the degree program, within the time period specified by the college.
  2. Earn a minimum of 2.0 cumulative grade point average in the technical area or pathway/major, and earn a minimum of 2.0 cumulative grade point average overall.
  3. Earn at least one-fourth of total credit hours required in the program with courses taken at Terra State Community College.

Petitioning for an Associate Degree

Consideration for graduation does not occur automatically. Students nearing the completion of an Associate degree need to petition for graduation. Students initiate the process by applying to graduate through the student portal. All students should apply to graduate at least one academic term prior to the projected graduation date. Students applying for more than two programs must consult with the Records Office.

Graduate candidates can purchase the cap and gown from the College Store in April prior to the May commencement ceremony. Graduates must resolve outstanding financial obligations or unreturned library materials before a printed degree can be issued to the student.

Certificate Programs

Students planning to complete a certificate at Terra State Community College must:

  1. Complete all credit hours, or equivalent, in the certificate program in which enrolled, within the time period specified by the college.
  2. Earn a minimum of 2.0 cumulative grade point average in all required program courses, and earn a minimum of 2.0 cumulative grade point average overall.
  3. Earn at least one-fourth of all total credit hours required for the certificate program with courses taken at Terra State Community College.

Petitioning for a Certificate of Proficiency

Students nearing the completion of a certificate program need to petition for the certificate. Students initiate the process by applying to graduate through the student portal. All students should apply to graduate at least one academic term prior to the projected graduation date. Students applying for more than two programs must consult with the Records Office.

Certificate candidates are invited to participate in commencement. They can purchase their gown from the College Store in April prior to the May commencement ceremony. Graduates must resolve outstanding financial obligations or unreturned library materials before a printed certificate can be issued to the student.

Catalog Eligibility 

The College recognizes the need to update its curriculum periodically.

When the curriculum of a student’s program changes, a candidate for graduation may elect to follow the requirements listed for the desired program either in:

  1. The catalog in effect the year the student first registered for classes at Terra State Community College if within the previous four academic years; or
  2. Any catalog in effect while the student is enrolled at Terra State, if within the previous four academic years; or
  3. The current catalog in effect at the time the student graduates.

In the event that the college no longer offers a course specified in an earlier college catalog, another course may be substituted. The appropriate academic Dean or designee must approve all course substitution(s).

Embedded Certificate

Embedded certificates are a subset of required courses that correspond to an approved degree program offered at Terra State Community College. The embedded certificate may be awarded concurrently or prior to its corresponding degree program. The Records Office may automatically award embedded certificates dependent on:

  1. All required coursework existing in the current student information system.
  2. All requirements having been met within the previous four academic catalogs.
  3. Being enrolled within the current academic year.

Students who are auto-awarded embedded certificates must complete applications to graduate if they wish to receive a printed copy of each certificate. Graduates must resolve outstanding financial obligations or unreturned library materials before printed certificates can be issued.

Graduation Honors

Graduation honors are awarded to students with exceptional academic achievement at Terra State Community College. Honors are awarded to degree seeking students who achieve the following cumulative grade point average (GPA):

Honor Classification Cumulative Grade Point Average
summa cum laude 3.90-4.00
magna cum laude 3.75-3.89
cum laude 3.50-3.74

Honors are not awarded to certificate seeking students and cumulative grade point averages are not rounded up.

For students intending to graduate at the end of Spring semester and participate in May commencement activities, honors recognition is based on the cumulative grade point average through the previous Fall term.

Posthumous Award Policy

Terra State Community College may award an associate degree or certificate posthumously. A posthumous degree serves to recognize and commemorate a student’s academic achievement. Awarding of posthumous degrees requires evaluation of the student’s record to ensure the integrity of the academic degree and the institution. Therefore, posthumous degrees may only be awarded in cases when specific criteria are met via evaluation of the student’s academic record.

  1. At the request of a parent, guardian, spouse, child of the decedent, Office of the President, or college representative, a deceased student’s record will be evaluated for eligibility of a posthumous award
  2. The formal request must include a family member’s (parent, guardian, spouse, child of decedent, etc…) contact information be sent to the student’s academic dean (the dean of the division that awards the degree or certificate).
  3. The student’s record will be evaluated for eligibility based on the following requirements:
  • The student was enrolled at the time of death, or death occurred while deployed as a member of the US Armed Forces;
  • The student made sufficient progress toward completion of the degree or certificate requested;
  • The student was in good academic standing and has no financial holds on his/her account; and
  • The deceased student’s cause of death was not due to any unlawful activity by the student.
  1. After the posthumous degree has been approved by the Board of Trustees, the originator (or his/her representative) will contact the family to make arrangements for presenting the diploma.
  2. The diploma will include the statement “Awarded Posthumously” and the student’s transcript will note that the degree was conferred posthumously.

Preferred Name, Gender, & Pronoun Policy

Terra State recognizes that members of our community may prefer to use a first name that differs from their legal name to identify themselves. Terra State is committed to using the preferred first name of individuals wherever possible. There are certain legal documents and communications that require legal name.

To encourage a welcoming climate, Terra State has a policy that allows students, faculty, and staff to indicate their preferred first name to the college community independent of legal name; providing the use of a preferred name is not for the purpose of misrepresentation. Furthering Terra State’s inclusive efforts, gender identity and personal pronouns are modifiable at the individual’s discretion.

While a student’s preferred first name will appear in Self-Service Banner (SSB) and class rosters as soon as the name is saved, it may take longer to appear on other systems. Please note that Terra State may use third-party software that does not use, or is not compatible with, preferred names.

Terra State reserves the right to review all preferred name changes and will not accept a preferred name that is considered vulgar, offensive, or obscene; creates confusion of the individual with another person; or otherwise constitutes misuse or abuse as defined in this policy. Students who violate this standard will receive a notification to their Terra State email address and the name(s) will be removed. Students who repeatedly violate this standard will be referred for Student Conduct charges. Appeals to this may be made using the Administrative Student Complaint Policy.

Faculty, staff, or students who update their preferred name after being issued an identification card may request a replacement card. Faculty, staff, or students who request a replacement identification card should be advised that appropriate charges for a duplicate ID will apply.

The preferred name will be used on advisor/advisee lists, class rosters, commencement program, dean’s list, diplomas, email, and many screens and documents generated in your student/staff portal. In most cases, postal mail will be addressed with the preferred name.

Reasons for the use of a preferred name may include individuals who use:

  • a middle name instead of a first name;
  • an anglicized name;
  • a name to which the individual is in the process of legally changing; or
  • a name that better represents the individual’s gender identity.

The legal name will be used when it required for business, legal, and external reporting purposes, such as billing statements, financial aid documents, official and unofficial transcripts, immigration documents, police records, conduct records, medical and health records, payroll, and professional licensure records.

Gender and personal pronouns are not directory information, and only visible in the College’s official records. They are visible to the student/staff through the individual’s profile in Banner Self-Service.

Students and staff can update their preferred first name, gender or personal pronoun through Banner Self-Service or if Banner Self-Service is unavailable, a change may be completed by contacting either Human Resources or Student Records. A phone call is not sufficient in documenting this change. Contact must be in person or through an email account assigned by Terra State.

Once saved, the preferred first name will update automatically in some systems, but other third-party systems may take longer.

To change a legal name, a request to change the name must be made in person at the appropriate office. Students are required to provide their legal names on their applications for admission. After enrollment, students may process official name changes or corrections. A change of legal name requires an official document or court order verifying the correct information at the time the request is made.

- Employees of Terra State, including student employees, must contact Human Resources.

- Students, excluding student employees, must contact Student Records.

Two of the following documents may be submitted for verification of the legal name change:

  • Valid passport (required for international students in non-immigrant status);
  • Federally issued identification card;
  • Court action document;
  • Divorce decree (the appropriate page of the decree);
  • Marriage certificate;
  • Valid state driver’s license or state-issued identification card;
  • Social Security Card;
  • Additional documents not listed may be deemed acceptable by either the Registrar or Director of Human Resources.

Prerequisites Skills Policy

Students who test into developmental English or mathematics on the placement assessment of basic skills or the ACT college examination will be required to enroll in the appropriate developmental course(s). Students may not enroll in any course that requires college level skills in that area, or that has a college level prerequisite course in that area, until they have successfully completed the appropriate developmental course(s).

For example, students who test into developmental mathematics will be required to enroll in the appropriate developmental mathematics course. Students may not enroll in a higher level mathematics course unless they have successfully completed the appropriate developmental mathematics course.

Students may not enroll in any course that requires college level reading until they have successfully completed the appropriate developmental English course.

Any degree-seeking student who is not taking English, mathematics or a course requiring college-level reading skills may take up to 20 hours before pretesting.

Student Permanent Record Changes

It is very important for students to keep the college informed of any changes in contact information. Students can change their address and telephone number by visiting Banner Self-Service. Students may also change the aforementioned information by contacting the Records Office to complete a revision form. 

Student Record Privacy

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. They are:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the college receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The college official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the college official to whom the request was submitted, the official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the college to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the college official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the college decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the college will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the college in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the college has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. [Optional] Upon request, the college discloses education records without consent to officials of another school, upon request, in which a student seeks or intends to enroll. [Note: FERPA requires an institution to make a reasonable attempt to notify the student of the records request unless the institution states in its annual notification that it intends to forward records on request.]
  4. FERPA permits non-consensual disclosure of education records, or personally identifiable, non-directory information from education records, in connection with a health or safety emergency under CFR 99.31(a)(10) and § 99.36 of the FERPA regulations. In particular, CFR 99.36 (a) and (c) provide that educational institutions may disclose information from an education record “to appropriate parties in connection with an emergency if knowledge of the information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other individuals” and that the exception will be “strictly construed.” Congress’ intent that the applicability of this exception be limited is reflected in the Joint Statement in Explanation of Buckley/Pell Amendment,120 Cong. Rec. S21489 (Dec. 13, 1974). This exception is temporally limited to the period of the emergency and generally will not allow for a blanket release of personally identifiable information from a student’s education records.
  5. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by State college to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is: Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, DC, 20202-4605.

Release of Student Record Information

Students may release their personally-identifiable information to others through the FERPA Release form located in Banner Self-Service under the Student tab, Student Account, FERPA consent. Specific information must be selected which may include transcripts, financial/billing, attendance, grades, honors, and GPA. The name and address of the person to receive the information and the purpose for releasing this information must be entered on the form. The FERPA Release is only applicable through the end of the current calendar year, or until the student set expiration date, which must be prior to the end of the calendar year. This release date may be adjusted through the academic year by using Banner Self-Service.

Releasing Directory Information

Directory information is considered to be students’ names, addresses, and telephone numbers, email addresses, photographs, dates of attendance, grade levels (first or second year students), enrollment status and ranks, degrees, honors and awards, high schools and other colleges attended.

The College does release directory information to other educational institutions for the purpose of providing Terra State students and graduates information about further educational opportunities. Directory information may also be released to other outside entities due to the Ohio Sunshine Law, Ohio Public Records Act R.C. 149.43(B). The following information may be released for those students who are included within the directory information release listing: name, telephone, email, address, grade level, and major/field of study.

Students who want to be excluded from the directory information releases can update their status in Banner Self-Service. Please note that if the release is set to “Please restrict my directory information,” your student name will not be included in newspaper articles for Dean’s List or for graduation, including the commencement program.

Student Transcripts

Obtaining an Academic Transcript

A permanent academic record is maintained in the Student Records Office for each student attending Terra State Community College. The permanent record includes the student’s academic record from application for admission through final graduation.

All transcripts from other institutions, including high school and college, are part of the student’s permanent record and will not be released back to the student. Copies of the original transcript should be requested from the issuing institution.

Current students may view and print an unofficial copy of their transcript through Banner Self-Service. To request an official copy of the transcript, please go to Banner Self-Service under the student records tab and select request a transcript.

Former students who no longer have access to Banner Self-Service may complete an online order by visiting the college website and searching for request transcripts.  

No one may obtain a student’s transcript without that student’s explicit written consent (The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as Amended).

Students may contact the Student Records Office for additional questions regarding their student records.

Student’s Right to Continue Under the Catalog in Effect When the Student First Registered for Classes

It is recognized that the College will need to update its curriculum periodically.

When the curriculum of a student’s program changes, a candidate for graduation may elect to follow the requirements listed for the desired degree either in:

  1. the catalog in effect the year the student first registered for classes at Terra State Community College (if within the last four academic years); or
  2. any catalog in effect while the student is enrolled at Terra State, if within the previous four academic years; or
  3. the current catalog in effect at the time the student graduates.

In the event that the college no longer offers a course specified in an earlier college catalog, another course may be substituted. The choices for the course substitution(s) will be determined by the appropriate academic Dean or designee.

Transfer, Work Experience, and Other Kinds of Credit

Credit for Life Experience

(Alternative Academic Credit)

Students may be granted credit for the learning proficiencies acquired through previous training, work or life experiences. Required courses in a technology program may be waived for prior training or experience. Students interested in applying for this type of credit may request the Petition for Alternative Academic Credit form through the Student Records Office. They will then arrange an appointment with the dean of their division.

Students are required to meet with a faculty member for each course for which they seek credit and document attainment of course learning outcomes through a portfolio, test, interview, or other means determined by the faculty member. The faculty member will recommend to the Dean whether credit should be awarded for prior learning.

Grade by Examination

The student must be officially enrolled in the course and have paid the tuition. After the second week of a term, a student may request Grade by Examination from an instructor. The instructor may give the exam when the student has demonstrated adequate prior education or training. If the results of the exam are satisfactory, the instructor will give a letter grade and credit for the course. The grade will be computed in the cumulative grade point average. Students need to complete the exam by the fifth week of a term, and may attempt the exam only once during a term. If a student is not satisfied with his or her examination grade, he or she may continue in the course and receive credit in the usual manner.

Proficiency Examination

Students may receive credit for previous academic work or experience on the basis of a proficiency examination. Individuals may take a proficiency exam at any time prior to enrollment in the course. To take a proficiency exam, students need to request the Petition for Academic Proficiency Examination form through the Student Records Office. There is a $25 fee per course for the examination. The fee must be paid at the time the petition is filed.

If the results of the Proficiency exam are satisfactory, “CR” will be entered on the student’s permanent record. Such credit is not included in the student’s grade point average. Credit by proficiency examination cannot exceed two-thirds of the total hours toward an associate degree. Students who have received an “F” or withdraw (“W”) in a course for which they petition for proficiency examination should have their petition approved by the Registrar. These students also need to submit evidence of having completed supplemental work in the subject area.

Transfer Credit Evaluation

Students who have earned college credit at another college or university before attending Terra State Community College may be eligible for transfer credit.

An official evaluation of the transfer credit will be completed by the Student Records Office after the student has been admitted to Terra State Community College and has submitted official transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary institutions. An official transcript contains the signature of the registrar, the date issued, and an embossed seal.

Official transcripts may be electronically sent through a secure system to the Student Records Office at Terra State Community College from the issuing institution, mailed from the issuing institution to the Student Records Office, or be placed in a sealed envelope at the issuing institution and hand-delivered to the Student Records Office at Terra State Community College. Please contact the Student Records Office with any questions concerning the above procedure.

Students with international transcripts must send appropriate documentation to a foreign credentials evaluation service. Once you receive the evaluation report from the service, you must send the report and an official copy of the transcript to the Student Records Office. The Student Records Office will forward the record to the appropriate academic dean for review. The academic dean or designee will evaluate your record and determine if any credit is eligible for transfer. Evaluation results are sent to the student. 

Note: All costs associated with foreign transcript evaluations are the student’s responsibility. Arrangements for payment must be made directly with the agency providing the services.

Transfer credit is granted for college-level and some technical courses earned at regionally accredited institutions of higher education for which students receive a passing grade as defined by the academic departments. Courses graded on a pass/fail or satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis are subject to further evaluation. The procedure for contesting transfer of credit decisions can be found under the college policies and procedures  section of the catalog.

Advanced Placement (AP) Credit

The state of Ohio, working through the University System of Ohio, has initiated policies to facilitate the ease of transition from high school to college as well as between and among Ohio’s Public colleges and universities.

Beginning in the Fall term 2009:

  1. Students obtaining an Advanced Placement (AP) exam score of 3 or above will be awarded the aligned course(s) and credits for the AP exam area(s) successfully completed.
  2. General Education courses and credits received will be applied towards graduation and will satisfy a general education requirement if the course(s) to which the AP area is equivalent fulfill a requirement.
  3. If an equivalent course is not available for the AP exam area completed, elective or area credit will be awarded in the appropriate academic discipline and will be applied towards graduation where such elective credit options exist within the academic major.
  4. Additional courses or credits may be available when a score of 4 or 5 is obtained. Award of credit for higher score values varies depending on the institution and academic discipline.
  5. In academic disciplines containing structured course sequences (Mathematics, Sciences, etc.), students are strongly advised to confer with their academic advisor to ensure they have the appropriate foundation to be successful in advanced coursework within the sequence.

A complete listing of credit awarded for an AP score of 3 or above for all University System of Ohio Colleges and Universities can be found at

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Students may receive college credit for previous academic work by passing a CLEP exam. CLEP exams are offered in 33 introductory level college subjects. More detailed information can be found at The college code for Terra State Community College is 5042.