Program of Study
The Music Technology and Recording Arts degree consists of studies in the latest technology along with traditional music theory, business, and performance courses.
Terra State offers students the chance to work in modern facilities outfitted with the very latest in audio technology. The Terra State Recording Arts Complex houses an acoustically-treated control room equipped with a Slate Media Technology RAVEN control surface. The RAVEN is the newest audio technology available and offers a state of the art touch screen display as well as a powerful multi-touch mixer that can control all major DAWs. The soundproof control room is surrounded by four acoustically-treated recording rooms that consist of an isolation booth, medium-sized tracking room, small ensemble room, and recital hall. Terra State’s recording studio can accommodate a myriad projects including voice-over work, gaming, movie soundtracks, solo artists, bands, small ensembles, choirs, and large orchestras.
The program emphasizes the necessity of having musical performance experience in order to understand the technology counterpart, and consequently all students learn to be proficient on instruments of their choosing. They also gain a significant amount of experience playing in musical groups and ensembles.
This degree has been arranged so that a transfer into a Bachelors of Music program is achievable.
The faculty has identified the following Learning Outcomes for all graduates:
- Apply written music theory through examples of written musical compositions, utilizing common practice procedures from the Classical Period up through the Twentieth Century.
- Utilize the techniques and applications of aural skills through melodic and rhythmic dictation, sight-singing, and aural identification of chords, intervals, and harmonic progression.
- Utilize techniques and fundamental practices of performance and skills in vocal and instrumental music.
- Produce and create music utilizing computer hardware, software, and other technology equipment.
- Operates hardware utilizing digital recording techniques through live concerts and studio performances.
- Demonstrate use of proficient application of mixing and mastering techniques.
- Recording Studio Engineer
- Recording Studio Technical Assistant
- Sound Reinforcement Mixing Engineer
- Audio Engineer/Sound Engineer
- Record Producer
- Event Productions
- Post Production FX Audio/Film