Dec 07, 2023
Program of Study
The hospitality industry is one of Northern Ohio’s leading employers and is continually looking for well-qualified managers and supervisors. This program prepares students for a wide variety of career opportunities within the hospitality industry. The Hospitality Management major is designed to emphasize a broad base of knowledge and skills of the hospitality industry with the emphasis in strategies in supervision, sanitation, cost controls for food, beverage and labor, communication, customer service skills, management and a blend of general education topics.
The faculty has identified the following Learning Outcomes for all graduates:
- Discuss the scope of the Hospitality industry.
- Apply a comprehensive understanding of: basic food cookery; industry terminology; and the use and care of foodservice equipment.
- Exhibit knowledge of food purchasing, receiving, and issuing; proper table service; and front of the house management controls.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and an understanding of the value of the menu as a major management tool, including its role as a merchandising tool for the presentation of food and beverage.
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic sanitation principles and methods of training employees to follow good sanitation practices.
- Plan, organize, and manage a special event.
- Recognize and employ the characteristics of a successful lodging front-office operation and the role that housekeeping plays in its success.
- Apply technology for business communication, computation, and presentation.
- Hotel/Restaurant/Marina/Campground Management
- Management Trainee
- Assistant Food and Beverage Manager
- Dining Room Supervisor
- Guest Services Manager
- Banquet Sales Coordinator
- Event Planner
- Front Desk Supervision
- Housekeeping Supervision
Total Technical Credit Hours: 35
General Education and Related Courses
Total General Education and Related Credit Hours: 30
Total Credit Hours: 65
See your advisor for appropriate course selection.