Program of Study
Music Technology and Recording Arts combines studies of the latest technology with traditional theory, history, and performance courses.
Terra State offers students the chance to work in modern facilities with the very latest in audio technology. The main music lab contains 25 Mac workstations each with a 61-key keyboard controller and the latest versions of Reason, Pro Tools, and Reaper. The Terra State Recording Arts Complex houses an acoustically-treated control room equipped with an Avid HD/IO recording system and C|24 control surface. The soundproof control room is surrounded by four acoustically-treated recording rooms that consist of an isolation booth, medium-sized tracking room, small ensemble room, and recital hall. Terra State's recording studio can accommodate myriad projects including voice-over work, solo artists, bands, small ensembles, choirs, and large orchestras. Projects can be mixed in stereo or 5.1 surround sound. Students will also have an opportunity to gain experience in live sound support.
This program supports the Contemporary Music Ensemble in which students perform on a variety of electronic musical instruments including Theremin, a modular synthesizer, electronic percussion, and other varieties of keyboards, samplers, and synthesizers.
This degree has been arranged so that a transfer into a Bachelors of Music program is achievable.
The faculty has identified the following Learning Outcomes for all graduates:
- Apply written music theory through examples of written musical compositions, utilizing common practice procedures from the Classical Period up through the Twentieth Century.
- Utilize the techniques and applications of aural skills through melodic and rhythmic dictation, sight-singing, and aural identification of chords, intervals, and harmonic progression.
- Utilize techniques and fundamental practices of performance and skills in vocal and instrumental music.
- Produce and create music utilizing computer hardware, software, and other technology equipment.
- Operates hardware utilizing digital recording techniques through live concerts and studio performances.
- Demonstrate use of proficient application of mixing and mastering techniques.
- Recording Studio Engineer
- Recording Studio Technical Assistant
- Sound Reinforcement Mixing Engineer
- Audio Engineer/Sound Engineer
- Record Producer
- Event Productions
- Post Production fx Audio/Film